By HSE East Africa | Tuesday Jul 24, 2018
A quarry wall caved in at Getare villige in Bonchari Constituency killing two quarry workers. The workers were crushed by a large stone a few minutes after they reported to work. Workers participated in the rescue operation after the 8am incident. Kipkoech Kigen, Kisii South Assistant County Commissioner ordered the site closed to ascertain its safety.
According to Mr. Kigen they will consult other government agencies before issuing further directions on how mining activities will be conducted in this area. They are also going to take precautions to avoid such deaths in the future.
Mr. Onsarigo one of the witnesses said that the exercise was delicate and needed government intervention. Richard Ratemo, a witness, said concerns had been raised about risks in mines in the area. “Those willing to continue with mining in this area should first ensure their safety. Those who have employed our youths should think of improving the working environment,” said Onsarigo.
Concerns had been expressed by the authorities that several unregulated quarries posed danger to miners and those living nearby. Workers not been provided with safety gears by most quarry owners. A month ago, Bobasi MP Innocent Obiri was arrested and charged in court after he visited the area and questioned the mining practices. Mr Obiri expressed concern about the impact of the mining activities on the environment, saying the use of explosives had caused cracks on adjacent buildings.